Welcome

I've just got started with this blog. Give it time and I hope to create a really helpful resource for everyone out there sitting the exam. Please feel free to e-mail suggestions and 'killer' revision notes. Thanks. I would love to hear from you about this blog. Please post a comment.

A little disclaimer: I am doing this blog to hopefully help you when revising due to the very little available information about this exam. I am not affiliated with any organisation in doing this, completely unfunded and not being sponsored. I can not guarantee the accuracy of the information, but will do my best. If you think something is incorrect please let me know so we can all learn. Thanks

Saturday 2 July 2011

DRUG-DRUG INTERACTIONS

I think the following will be useful to learn:

  • Cisplatin can lead to renal damage which can therefore reduce the renal clearance of methotrexate
  • If cisplatin is given before topotecan, exposue to topotecan increases, due to reduced renal clearance of topotecan
  • Allopurinol reduces the metabolic inactivation of 6-mercaptopurine and increases its toxicity.
  • Penicillins, Probenacid and sulfonamides and NSAIDs reduce the renal clearance of Methotrexate. Compete for the tubular secretion pathway
  • If Carboplatin/Cisplatin are administered simultaneously with paclitaxel there is less myelosuppression compared to when platinum preceeds paclitaxel.
  • There is increased neurotoxicity when cisplatin ans paclitaxel are administered together. This interaction is worse when paclitaxel infusion has along duration.

  • Methotrexate can be displaced from Albumin by 1.sulphonamides 2.tetracycline 3.chloramphenicol 4.phenytoin 5.NSAIDs. This will increase the plasma concentration, causing more side effects such as mucositis and myelosuppression

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

great job

Pritish said...

Dear Dr Stephen.

Many thanks for all your time and effort in designing this website.

I was hoping to get in touch with you via email